Marian Homes’ sole mission is to own and maintain group homes in Virginia for persons with intellectual disability.
Our vision is to increase the options for adults with intellectual disabilities to live independently. In the early 1990’s, our Council leadership sought ideas and recommendations from its membership for expanding the pace and level of support we provide to intellectually disabled men and women living in the Diocese of Arlington, Virginia. At the time, there were reportedly more than a thousand intellectually disabled residing in Fairfax County, including more than 130 individuals living in the now-closed, state-run Northern Virginia Training Center on Braddock Road. This initiative was in step with a national movement to transition support to our neighbors and relatives with special needs away from residing in large, often Spartan, dormitory-type facilities to more dignified accommodations within communities. The Council leadership eventually decided to undertake fundraising efforts to purchase, renovate, and maintain single-family homes within Fairfax County. In 1996, we established Marian Homes, Inc, a non-profit organization located in Fairfax, VA, operating under a Board of Directors elected from Council 8600, and began fundraising in earnest. We have been remarkably blessed in the intervening years, and with the support of many in the community we have made significant progress. We now own and operate 5 homes which enable 25 adult men and women to reside in safety, security and dignity in Northern Virginia. We were extremely fortunate to receive competitively awarded grants via Fairfax County’s Community Development Block Grant (CDPG) program for our third, fourth, and fifth homes, the last of which was acquired in 2017. The grants have been a major blessing, covering about 75% of the costs, amounting to around $600,000 in each case. We provided the remaining equity funding of 25% via internal Council and external fundraising efforts for each new home.
Unfortunately, we were unsuccessful in obtaining an additional Fairfax County CDPG grant late last year which would have allowed us to purchase a sixth home. Feedback from the County indicated it had lower levels of funding to disperse (compared to prior years) and elected to shift support to homeless, opioid-addicted and other special needs’ individuals. We do not expect the County to be in a position to change its priorities in the future. This scenario has caused us to re-tailor our business model to extend our acquisition timeline and shift our funding strategy to raise funds locally, regionally, and nationally among fellow non-profit and philanthropic entities.
Marian Homes is administered by a 21 member ALL VOLUNTEER Board of Directors responsible for financial matters, fund-raising and home maintenance. With no salaries, benefits, corporate taxes, utilities, or other normal administrative expenses; your contributions go farther to helping the cause.
Your donation is processed by PayPal. You can use your PayPal account or, if you don't have a PayPal account, your credit card. Simply click the Donate and follow the instructions. A more extensive list of donation methods can be found under the "Donate" tab, above.
To make a direct deposit, make checks payable to:
Marian Homes, Inc PO Box 7003 Fairfax Station, VA 22039
“Growing Our Partnership for the Intellectually Disabled One Home at a Time”